>>> On 5/28/2013 at 04:00 PM, "Pesce, Andy" <andy.pe...@autozone.com> wrote:
> Just a curiosity question:
> Is anyone running Red Hat or SUSE natively in its own LPAR without having
> z/VM?
> I know that under z/VM you can run multiple LINUX images.  It is also very
> easy
> to clone systems.  However, just wondering if there are clients out there
> that
> only want to run one LINUX system.  So, they are not spending the money to
> get z/VM and installing it.  Any response would be appreciated.

We have a number of customers that only run in LPAR mode, and some others that
have both z/VM guests and LPAR systems.  The LPAR-only customers are either
very small, as you suggest, or very, very large and don't want to incur even
the minor overhead z/VM introduces.

But, don't limit yourself to only one LPAR, if you can avoid it.  Your software
subscription costs won't increase, and you have the option to set up a highly
available environment.  The only resource you won't be able to share is real
storage, so hopefully you're not too tight on that.