On 06/18/2013 01:28 PM, Avinoam hirschberg wrote:
we try to do as follows and the system did recognize/see any LUNs

from this doc -
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/linux390/docu/lk38ts07a.pdf

FCP setups running in NPIV mode detect the LUNs automatically and after
setting

the device online no further configuration is necessary.
* NPIV example *

1. To set FCP device 0.0.5400 online, issue the following command:
# chccwdev --online 0.0.5400
Setting device 0.0.5400 online
Done

The *chccwdev *command is part of s390-tools. For a description of the
command see *Device Drivers, Features, and Commands*, SC33-8411

After setting the FCP device online, all LUNs with valid host-connections
for the
WWPN of the NPIV FCP device are automatically visible as SCSI devices:

# lsscsi
[0:0:0:1073758410]disk IBM 2107900 0.33 /dev/sda
[0:0:0:1073823946]disk IBM 2107900 0.33 /dev/sdb

2. To find out if the FCP setup is running in NPIV mode, check the port_type
attribute of the FCP device, for example:

# cat /sys/bus/ccw/drivers/zfcp/0.0.5400/host0/fc_host/host0/port_type
NPIV VPORT

The "scsi howto" you refer to describes upstream kernel version 2.6.38.
This book version is closest to SLES11 SP2, but we don't have an explicit SLES spin of the book. In addition to the "scsi howto", we have our "device drivers book" as reference and for those we have a version specifically for each distro release. Please see:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/linux390/documentation_suse.html#sles11sp2

Assuming you don't get scsi devices by means of auto lun scan with zfcp despite the use of NPIV-enabled FCP devices, you probably need to use
the following zfcp module parameter: zfcp.allow_lun_scan=1.
In contrast to upstream kernels, it had to remain disabled by default in SLES11 in order not to introduce semantic changes between service packs. The simplest place to put the parameter is as additional kernel boot parameter in /etc/zipl.conf. For more details about such parameters please see "Chapter 3. Kernel and module parameters."

Reference:
Device Drivers, Features, and Commands on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2
Service Pack 2 changes
"You can now enable automatic scanning for SCSI devices that are available through an NPIV port. See “Configuring SCSI devices” on page 70 and the information about the allow_lun_scan= module parameter in “zfcp module parameters” on page 59."

For presistent configuration across reboots, you would only use zfcp_host_configure which will set the FCP device(s) online for you.
Just drop the part that does the unit_add for the non-NPIV cases,
i.e. do not use zfcp_disk_configure. Yast probably also does not yet support the NPIV auto lun scan case because it always wants to configure individual LUNs (ending up calling zfcp_disk_configure).

HTH
Steffen Maier

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen