From: Rick Troth [mailto:r...@casita.net]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 2:47 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Putting messages in dmesg or /var/log/messages

Yeah ... 'logger' is pretty handy.  Is available on other systems too.

Following what David said, you will want the SYSLOG service up and running for
'logger' to have any effect.  (According to design, the logged traffic would
drop into oblivion if 'syslogd' is not running, so as to avoid lock-up or other
bad things.)

The dependency relationships are traditionally in comments at the start of each
INIT script.  'systemd' changes the game.  I won't waste time discussing that
unless you are already suffering under its weight.

-- R; <><

--

For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/