Sonny,

> and  in the sg24-7932-00 "virtualization cookbook for Redhat linux 6.0"
Redbook dtd  feb2011.
There is a more recent "Virtualization Cookbook" which describes RHEL 6.2.
It is a "whitebook", not a redbook.   Start at
http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/mikemac/ - the most recent Cookbook is
always at the top.  (and we have one in draft which will describe RHEL 6.4
- hopefully a draft will be available soon).

> each linux virtual server should get its own 3390-3 dasd
That's kind of small these days.  I'd recommend at least a 3390-9 to start
with.

> i need to create a 192 disk for LINMSTR (only), which will contain the
linux boot files and that said 192 disk is not replicated in clones.
Best practices *seems to be* to define a CMS minidisk in each z/VM system
that is linked read-only as each Linux virtual machine's 191 disk.  In
"The Virt'n Cookbook", it is the LNXMAINT 192 disk. The operative line in
the LNXDFLT PROFILE is:
LINK LNXMAINT 0192 0191 RR

This way each Linux system can first boot CMS and have the opportunity to
run the SWAPGEN EXEC to create VDISK swap spaces.  After creating the swap
spaces, Linux can be booted from minidksk 150 for example.  I wold also
say this could also be considered "best practices" (others on the list may
not agree).

"Getting Started With Linux" does not describe such an environment, but I
would recommend it.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mikemac at-sign us.ibm.com>