Time out.  Back up to the 10 kilometer altitude and consider what
you're trying to do.  FTP might not be the right tool.  (Ubiquitous,
yes.  But ... something about hammers and nails should go here.)

Sounds like the credentials fight is your big pain point.  The
credentials requirement is a big turn-off IMO.

You're probably right about SCP and USS.  Also, fond as I am of SCP,
it carries the creds req same as FTP.  [sigh]

There are at least four other ways to send files to MVS, presuming
implementations, which may or may not exist: NJE, SMTP, LPR/LPD, UFT.

NJE can stuff files directly into MVS spool space.  This is probably
the most "normal" way to get files into MVS.  You might need to hop
through VM, since I don't know the status of NJE-over-IP in MVS
itself.  Run NJE-over-IP on the Linux/Unix side and send away.

SMTP is the easiest on the Unix/Linux end.  Cobble up an RFC 2822
envelope, feed it to /usr/lib/sendmail (same program available under
Postfix), and "the check's in the mail".

LPR/LPD ... though CUPS may complicate things on the POSIX/Linux/Unix
side.  Should feed directly into AFP.  Can probably hop through VM
(using LPR driver in RSCS).  It's an excruciatingly simply protocol if
you need to hack it (extend for additional meta-data).

Finally, UFT exists in VM, could trivially exist in MVS (there is REXX
code for reference), and is the easiest to "send" from a shell prompt:
 'sf -a thefile targetuser@targethost'.  ("-a" for plain text or "-i"
for binary)   My mention of UFT may be self-serving, but it has come
twice in recent months (not on this list) so there may be unprovoked
interest.

The reason all four of these might be worth study is that they *all*
send without the sender needing to have an identity on the receiving
system.

-- R; <><