Thanks Aria.  We will contact you off list.  Its probably better if our
applications person describes the problem rather than me.  In general, once
it gets up to a certain load of users, response goes into the crapper and the
virtual server starts chewing up CPU.  However, Brian can give you more
detailed information from the application point of view.

Thanks everyone for your comments and tips.  We are still in the data
gathering phase right now, in addition to trying to recreate the problem
(without needing 1000 students hitting the server that is).  I'll post more
specific information when I have it.  We are definitely looking at it from all
angles including real resources, z/VM, Linux, etc.  We want to take a
systematic approach to evaluating the problem and making changes. I'm sure you
all know as well as I that it is likely not one "magic bullet" that fixes all,
but a whole series of tweaks.

Martha