Douglas Wooster wrote:
> Thanks for the link, Gabe.
> I wish I'd known about The Living Computer Museum in Seattle when I was
> there a few years ago  --  I'd love to see if I can remember how to sort
> payroll!!
>
> I never realized the Computer History Museum moved from Boston to
> California.  Oddly, I couldn't find any museum history on their site.

Don't forget to look up the LOIRP ("Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery
Project") that, once they got the original download tapes that had
been sitting in storage since the mid-1960s, had to scrounge up the
parts for the "right" variety of tape drive to *read* these tapes.

I've heard funny stories about saves-- where data is saved on backup
media but not the programs to interpret the data.

There are likely a lot of data formats out there that aren't even
*that* old that can no longer be "properly" interpreted;  The non-M$
version of OpenOffice XML format is an attempt, going forward, to
ensure readability into the future.

-soup
--
John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail dot com
MacOS X proved it was easier to make Unix user-friendly than to fix Windows