What I like about Performance Toolkit for z/VM (Perfkit) besides working
on and supporting the product while at the lab in Endicott... is that's
the tool the z/VM lab still uses helping to simplify collaboration with
the lab when/if required.  Understand that it is a hardware/system tool
over something with a true software focus.  Having Perfkit is a pre-req
for Omegamon, a product offered from our software group.  Omegamon is
handy if you also have z/OS, have requirements to track transactions and
want/desire dashboards.

Worth noting along the lines of dashboards.... if you are also looking to
simplify z/VM system administration, stay tuned for announcements around
CSL WAVE as it pulls info from performance tools into nice dashboards as
well.

You can of course just get info from Linux directly with tools like TOP.
Combined with z/VM commands enough information is obtainable to help keep
your system healthy:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/

No matter what product you decide works best for your org, go thru at
least an internal solution assurance type review to understand the
required resources/impact to your system as part of your decision.

Kurt Acker
IBM Smarter Planet, Smarter Data Centers
Virtualization and Enterprise System Management Technologies