On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Donald Russell <russell....@gmail.com>wrote:

> In the case I'm currently working on, a ".so" file (binary) has a chunk of
> plain text in the middle of it. The "chunk" is 4K bytes long, and is a
> piece of a program listing. 4K is the block size of the underlying DASD.
>
> I am now in the process of trying to find when this happened by restoring
> backup copies and seeing if I can narrow the time frame down.

Was either or both of these files supposed to be written? The .so file
would be written only when you install the package. If the .so was not
written, the origin of the text might point to the cause. And what's
underneath; is it a plain device or is there LVM or md in between?

Since you mention journaling errors, did you have fsck repair things that
could actually have created this? (we've seen that in the past with fsck on
ReiserFS disks). The minidisk isn't R/O, is it?  I think that has been
fixed now, but initially we had problems where Linux eventually would drop
dirty blocks when it couldn't write them to disk.

Can you DDR the minidisk to another place and link thata in another Linux
guest? That way you can run fsck as you like.

Rob