You could use:
ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.x
route add default gw 10.0.0.y

And use ssh to connect and change files with vi.

As Mark and Marcy already said, you probably missed setting the default
gateway. Try pinging it (ping -c 2 gateway-ip) and see if you can connect.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.