Hello lists,

I have added a lot of function into "Mz" this last quarter. This code is
freely available to all under the Artistic License 2.0 (isn't open source
cool?). See https://sourceforge.net/projects/managing-z/files and you may
consider downloading the files: README.txt, mzCookbook.pdf and the code,
mz-2-31.s390x.rpm.

The RPM has ballooned to about 3 MB (wait, isn't that still pretty small?
:)).

Here's the summary of the content added in the last four drops:

Version 2.19 - October 25, 2013
-) Check for correct devices in mzmktree before building any of the tree
-) Make -s (silent), -v (verbose) and -vv (very verbose) more consistent
-) General bug fixes in mzcaptureappliance and mzdeployappliance
Version 2.20 - October 31, 2013
-) Add complete set of man pages!
-) Add development process to create FrameMaker reference chapter from man
pages
-) Replace commands mzlssystems|cec|lpar|zvm|virtualmachine|linux with
mzlsbranch
-) Remove the concept of an error file and two related commands
-) Standardize devices related Web pages with other Web pages generation
Version 2.30 - December 1, 2013
-) Skipped from 2.20 to 2.30 as this is a significant release
-) Continue refining man pages, mzhelp and Web help consist
mz-2-31.s390x.rpmency
-) Add "Appliances" as a third table to Web page mztable
-) Add "Actions" (operations) to Linux, z/VM and appliances tables
   in leftmost column
-) Set default Web font to Arial
-) Add "webFont" variable to set font used in most (all?) Web pages
-) mzlsappliances command now allows for a PATTERN argument
-) Add "breadcrumbs" at top of each Web page - links to hierarchy of pages
-) Replaced mz.pdf with mzCookbook.pdf - Mz material integrated into
mz-2-31.s390x.rpmmz-2-31.s390x.rpm
   "The Virtualization Cookbook"
-) Moved mzCookbook to /srv/www/htdocs (/var/www/htdocs on RHEL) so it
   can be accessible directly by an Mz server
-) Added commands mzlsnics and mzlsmemory as symlinks to mzlsdisk
-) Added mzlsmem which is a standalone script to be injected onto Mz
clients
-) Beta of add CPUs and rm CPUs working - still testing to be done
-) New mzlsmemory output including user directory info
Version 2.31 - December 9, 2013
-) Four add/remove memory and add/rm CPU commands working fairly well
-) Same four commands exposed through Linux actions
-) Corresponding man pages created and all man pages updated
-) Updated mzCookbook.pdf to be reasonably up to date

Does this all sound too cool?  Well it is :)) Remember, it's just a side
project from a guy hacking in his spare time (some buggy code found on the
Web - you *have* been warned). But I'd like to think it has a well
designed, System z-based architecture, based on the awesome z/VM
hipervisor and System z Linux (so perhaps there's still hope).

I presented Mz at "The VM Workshop" this past June, at MVMUA in July, and
at SHARE in August.  I got an OK, but perhaps lukewarm response. I thought
about "throwing in the towel" or just focusing on regression testing, but
what's the fun in those? So I've written a full set of man pages and some
new function which is a bridge between the CLI and GUI worlds - line
commands can now be invoked from a browser with less typing. For all Linux
"Actions", there is a (1) verbosity radio group, (2) debug/trace checkbox
and (3) "no op" checkbox (which is good for most sysadmins who have the
attitude "Don't touch my system, just tell me what you might recommend"
:)) Dynamic add/remove of Linux CPUs and memory seems to be working
(minidisks coming?). This is something that could be quite useful (not
sure if any other tools have it). Also, I have tried to incorporate "The
Virtualization Cookbook" into the function - for certain functions that
cannot be automated. The idea is to link to the task in the GUI directly
to the documentation - just a start ...  I also added "services" - the
ability to customize clones with specific sets of software, but they need
more work. z/VM Actions are also a work in progress, so lot's more to
do...

The final goal, is not for me nor for IBM sales, but rather, for you, the
customer sysadmin to succeed in your job and make your company more
efficient and thus more  successful.

Hope it helps.  At least, keep watching this space.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mikemac at-sign us.ibm.com>