I'm not sure what you would expect VM to be able to do here.  All OSes pretty
much suspend operations while this kind of "what can I do without"
decision-making is going on inside the kernel.  If the Linux kernel is taking
it's time sorting out what pages are clean/dirty/pageable, the only thing VM
can possibly do is execute the page write/read as quickly as possible *once the
decision is made*, and it's demonstratably doing just that.

If backleveling the kernel makes the problem go away, then it's clearly a
kernel logic problem in the s390x port.