Kevin,

Richard Lewis gave session 13492 at SHARE in Boston (and again last week in
Anaheim): "If I Send a Special Message to Linux on System z Will it Answer?
Automating Linux on z/VM".

See
https://share.confex.com/share/121/webprogram/Handout/Session13492/udevsmsg_share_boston_2013.pdf

Perhaps it will help with some of the "plumbing"...

    -Mike MacIsaac