From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Marco
Bosisio
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:57 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: What is an alternative of sitar in SLES11 SP3 ?

Hi Mark,
 thanks for your reply.
I understand that the SCA tool it could be a good OSS solution but it seems
that the better solution is to choose client-server implementation.
I believe that a similar output of SITAR could be created working with SCA
server.
On our environment to implement all of this It is not so easy due to fw rules
and internal security policy.
I installed tha SCA client and I created the output.  It is a good "
Supportconfig Analysis Report"  in html format but it does not provide the
system information like sitar.

We needed the SITAR because it can be executed locally on zLinux to creates the
html report that can be used to produce a documentation in a fast way.

Cordiali saluti  / Best regards

        Marco Bosisio

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu> wrote on 04/16/2014 01:38:43
AM:

> From: Mark Post <mp...@suse.com>
> To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
> Date: 04/16/2014 01:40 AM
> Subject: Re: What is an alternative of  sitar   in SLES11 SP3  ?
> Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>

> > The "sitar"  package is used to produce a report on the servers
> > configuration  (in html format..).
> > Its setting and usage was suggested in the redbook "A cookbook for
> > installing and customizing z/VM 5.2 and Linux SLES9 on the mainframe
".
> > This useful tool distributed since SLES9, with SLES10 (rpm: sitar
> > 1.0.6-7.10, noarch, System Information at Runtime) but it is no more
> > included on SLES11.
> >
> > Do you know if there is another alternative pkg in  SLES11  ?
> >
> > (ps: It could be better to use a sw already included in SLES distro
;-)..

> SCA Tool might be useful, although it's not a direct replacement for
> sitar.  It's not officially supported for SLES11, but it will be for
SLES12.

> It comes in two major flavors:
> *SCA Appliance*
> This is an enterprise level product  requiring a web server and MySQL
> database to store all the analysis  results. It runs as a server-side
> tool and does not require any  interaction. Simply upload
> supportconfigs to it, and they get analyzed.  It is meant to be
> scalable for analyzing a lot of supportconfigs on a  regular basis.
> The public appliance that is ready to go can be found on  SUSE
Studio.
> https://susestudio.com/a/Vj5bpn/sca-appliance
>
> *SCA Tool*
> This  is an end-user, client-side tool that does not require a web
> server or  database. It just uses the patterns to analyze a server and
> generates an  HTML report file. It requires user interaction. It is
> meant to be on  your laptop so you can analyze any server you may need
> to quickly check  out. The analysis is done on your server; only the
> supportconfig runs on  the production server. You don't have to wait
> to start using the SCA  Tool. You can download it off of OBS. I have
> included some instructions  below. The SCA Tool is nice when you don't
> want to have a VM on your  laptop just to analyze a server here and
> there.
>
> Install
> # zypper as -t rpm-md http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/
> Novell:/NTS:/Unstable/openSUSE_12.3/ SCA_Tool # zypper install
> sca-server-report sca-patterns-*
>
> Update as Needed
> # zypper up sca-*
>
> Server Analysis Examples
>
> # scatool -s
> Runs  supportconfig on the local host and analyzes its output. It
> saves the  HTML report file to the same location at the supportconfig
> with the same  name, but ending in .html.
>
> # scatool -a /var/log/nts_localhost_131107_1315.tbz
> Analyzes  the supportconfig archive file specified. The path can be a
> tarred  compressed supportconfig archive or a suportconfig extracted
> directory,  either will work. The HTML report file is saved in the
> save location as  the supportconfig archive or directory.
>
> # scatool -sk -o /opt/sca/reports/
> Runs  supportconfig on the local host. It saves the HTML report file
> in the  output path specified instead of the default path of the
> supportconfig  tarball. Keeps the supportconfig tar ball for future
reference.

> # scatool -a sles_server.company.com
> Establishes  an ssh connection to sles_server.company.com to run a
> supportconfig on  the server. The supportconfig is then copied back to
> the local host to  be analyzed. The HTML report file is saved to the
> default /var/log  directory.
>
> See scatool(8) and scatool.conf(5)
>

> Mark Post

> For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
> email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
> http://wiki.linuxvm.org/

IBM Italia S.p.A.
Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI) Cap. Soc. euro
347.256.998,80 C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
Società con unico azionista Società soggetta all?attività di direzione e
coordinamento di International Business Machines Corporation

(Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/