Hi, All,

We recently installed RHEL 6.5 on z/VM 6.2 using the latest edition of Michael
MacIsaac's "Virtualization Cookbook", which is written around z/VM 6.3 and RHEL
6.4.

We "cloned" a new Linux guest from our RHEL 6.5 "golden image", and one of our
Linux admins noticed some "strange" messages in the clone's boot log:

===== Begin paste =====
part of the golden image configuration included a section on settings at boot
time - see section 9.2.6 of the pdf.
in looking at the boot log for ch2lqvpsx I see the following messages
HCPDTV040E Device 0190 does not exist
Error: non-zero CP response for command 'DET 190': #40
HCPDTV040E Device 0191 does not exist
Error: non-zero CP response for command 'DET 191': #40
HCPDTV040E Device 019D does not exist
Error: non-zero CP response for command 'DET 19D': #40
HCPDTV040E Device 019E does not exist
Error: non-zero CP response for command 'DET 19E': #40
===== End paste =====

The concern is over the HCPDTV040E messages for the MDISKs used at CMS logon
time.

The cited section of the "Cookbook" states:

===== Begin paste =====
In order for z/VM 6.3 to relocate guests between single system image (SSI)
members, there
must not be any links to CMS disks. The LNXDFLT PROFILE creates links to
minidisks and
assigns virtual device numbers 190, 191, 19D, and 19E. These addresses must be
detached.
The vmcp module is used to accomplish this.

To do these two tasks, edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, which is run at boot
time:

# cd /etc/rc.d
# vi rc.local

And add the following lines:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
chshut halt vmcmd logoff
chshut poff vmcmd logoff
modprobe vmcp
vmcp det 190
vmcp det 191
vmcp det 19d
vmcp det 19e

The z/VM virtual machine should now be logged off when you halt or power off
Linux.
===== End paste =====

The appearance of the HCPDVT040E messages seems to suggest that the CMS disks
are already detached when the rc.local script issues the vmcp det xxx commands.
 If true, can anybody say when (and by whom or what process) those disks are
detached, apparently before rc.local runs?  Is that "new" for RHEL 6.5?

TIA,

  -jc-

Information contained in this e-mail message and in any attachments thereto is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems, notify the sender immediately,
and refrain from using or disclosing all or any part of its content to any
other person.