On 06/11/2014 05:00 PM, Victor Echavarry Diaz wrote:
We install a couple of EC12 to our shop, upgrade some server to SLES
11 SP3 kernel 3.0.101-0.15-default under z/VM 6.2.  When we execute
the VMRELOCATE for some reason the SAN file system go read only. Our
previous configuration was an EC10, SLES 10 SP2 under z/VM 6.2. The
VMRELOCATE here works fine. Does anyone see this issue before? The
SAN is an IBM V7000. The Storage, Unix and DBA groups said their
configurations are ok.

Just a shot in the dark:

The builtin device-mapper multipath settings and documentation for SVC / V7000 probably recommend something like "no_path_retry 5" in /etc/multipath.conf.

Since you temporarily lose all paths at the same time unavoidably during LGR, you might need to reconfigure multipathing to always queue I/O requests when all paths are gone instead of returning EIO (I/O error) which in turn typically causes file systems to remount read-only (sooner or later).

Queueing requests can be configured with:
"no_path_retry queue" (or its alias feature "queue_if_no_path").

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/bbillhs.html
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/bbj68de.html
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/bbi89rh.html#b122sbgo
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/be5rvii.html#bok8cn1 (actually I recommend to disable dev_loss_tmo entirely which might be the SLES default anyway)
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/mpioerrormgmt.html
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/mpiostall.html

in case you use LVM:
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007498

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen