I don't like to have / on LVM. It makes things very difficult if you have
problems with the guest, like forgetting the root password, running
mkinitrd without zipl, and so on. I usually create LV for home, var, opt
and usr, and leave all the other (etc, bin, boot and so on) on "physical"
disk. Those dirs don't grow a lot, so they can be left out of a LV. If your
users don't use the home partition, it could be left as well.

If you have multiple disks on the guest, and all the guests are clones,
solving a "forgotten root password" problem will be much more trouble than
leaving /etc out of a LV.

Once I was talking about this with a friend, and he said I was being
overcautious. In the same minute, he runs mkinitrd && reboot. I looked at
that and said: "now, have a good time solving this mess..." He took almost
an hour to run the installer, get to the shell, activate all disks, mount
the LVM, chroot into it and run zipl. All linuxes were clones, so they had
the same lv and vg names...

Now he doesn't uses LVM for / and I think he is happy...

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.