On 08/12/2014 02:59 PM, Mark Post wrote:
On 8/11/2014 at 06:56 PM, Cameron Seay <cws...@gmail.com> wrote:
All:

I got an eval disk from SUSE for Enter 11.  I want to try out their KVM for
System z.  Do I just pop this in the DVD drive on the SE and IPL the LPAR?

Yes and no.  That is one of the ways to _start_ the install.  But you
will still need a network installation server to provide access to
the installation media once the network is up.

SLES additionally provides one method of IPL/boot/start of the installer *and* access stage2 and packages not over the (computer) network but over an FCP SAN:

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/book_sle_deployment/data/sec_zseries_prep.html
HINT: IPL from DVD
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on DVD
Using an FCP-Attached SCSI DVD Drive
LPAR Installation: IPL from FCP-Attached SCSI DVD
z/VM Installation: IPL from FCP-Attached SCSI DVD

(NB: This is only for FCP-attached SCSI *DVD*, neither SAN-attached DASD nor SCSI disk work for linuxrc/YaST on System z.)

Nevertheless, you would still need to setup a (computer as opposed to storage) network connection for interactive installations in order to have the installer present its user interface (vnc/x11/ssh).

This is because only
IBM knows how to access the DVD in the HMC from an operating system
running in an LPAR.  An open source method to do that is currently
going through IBM Legal, but it's not available yet.

So, since you need to have a working network from the HMC to an
installation server, you could just as well use the "boot from remote
FTP server" option on the HMC to kick things off.  Either way will
work.  Some sites just have more restricted access to the raised
floor.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen