On 3 October 2014 08:07, Cameron Seay <cws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I know how to reset the root password on an x86 machine using single user
> mode.  Is there a way to do that in Linux on VM?

You can shutdown the guest and boot in single user mode by specifying the
"1" on the kernel parameters: #CP IPL vdev PARM 1
Or you can shutdown and mount the disk on another server to change the
/etc/shadow

But root passwords are so 90's ... ;-)  We did away with passwords at least
10 years ago:
 - have root automatically logged on at the console, so authentication with
RACF is enough to access it
 - automated business approved processes with root access through managed
secondary console with logging etc
 - warm bodies authenticate with PKI using a central LDAP store for public
keys
 - root access through sudo (with logging) for selected users at each
system as defined in LDAP

Rob