Mainframe Work, Then and Now -- The issues and transitions mainframers faced in the past help us improve today

It's all too easy as mainframers to answer "What's new?" with "Not much." Or to gripe about the latest bug encountered or fixed, or look forward to installing the (supposedly) latest-and-greatest just-announced whatever from IBM or an ISV.

But taking a longer view is interesting, remembering back five or 20 years or more, focusing on how it's not just technology that's changed, and also the very nature of our work. Today's processors, memory, storage capacities and networks couldn't have been imagined in the early days; paraphrasing a well-known but bogus industry saying, 24-bit addressing was thought to be enough for anybody. And it was, for a while. (Now, of course, we take for granted 64-bit technology, a growing array of opcodes and a massive Principles of Operation that would astonish early mainframers.) Similarly, punch card input and greenbar printed output (and system dumps!) made the world—and the 1403 print train—spin, for a while.

http://www.destinationz.org/Mainframe-Solution/Trends/Mainframe-Work--Then-and-Now

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433