From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: 18 November 2014 11:36 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES11 SP3 v SP1

wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Our Linux team has just upgraded some of our SLES11 SP1 systems
> (running under z/VM 6.2 on a zEC12) to SP3. The systems run Oracle and
> the Oracle test bods report that Oracle is now 10-20% slower. They
> identified Oracle SR
> 13074706 and applied it. Although that helped, they still think the
> system is slower since moving to SP3.

Do they have any performance measurement data to back that up?

> Has anyone else experienced any performance degradation after a move
> to SP3, and how did you resolve?

IBM submits quite a few performance enhancing feature requests for each service
pack we produce.  I would be surprised if there was a significant performance
degradation in SP3, particularly with Oracle.  All of the IBM presentations
I've seen say that in general, things are better.

Have you opened a support request with your support provider about this?  If
you have not yet, they're going to want real data when you do open one.  Hand
waving/wringing from the Oracle support team isn't going to be sufficient.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/

Information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential, and may not be
copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor disclosed to any third
party without our permission. There is no intention to create any legally
binding contract or other binding commitment through the use of this electronic
communication unless it is issued in accordance with the Experian Limited
standard terms and conditions of purchase or other express written agreement
between Experian Limited and the recipient. Although Experian has taken
reasonable steps to ensure that this communication and any attachments are free
from computer viruses, you are advised to take your own steps to ensure that
they are actually virus free.

Experian Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Companies Act information: Registered name: Experian Limited. Registered
office: Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ,
United Kingdom. Place of registration: England and Wales. Registered number:
653331.