Dave, Marcy, Rich, Mark,

Thanks. wget with the quotes did the trick.  I didn't RTFM very well
because the quotes were in the example!

Also, the stop of the download at 2.2GB seemed to be on our end - perhaps
some AV software being overly ambitious. But wget was smart enough to
restart:
77% [=======================================> ...
2014-11-19 12:42:32 (1.66 MB/s) - Read error at byte 2274160208/2932867072
(Connection reset by peer). Retrying.
--2014-11-19 12:42:33--  (try: 2)  http://cdn.novell.com/...
Connecting to cdn.novell.com|72.21.81.253|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content

And Rich:
> It finished in under 3 minutes
Really?  That's some pipe!  My download was about an order of magnitude
longer ...

   -Mike MacIsaac