I tried your approach, the number of cylinders never expanded. What I did, all
is on  CKD  IBM 3390-9 disk

1)  Expanding  mdisk  991 size= 10Cyl.    10 free cylinders exist after this
mdisk.  Want to expand 991 from 10 to 20 cyl
2)  Defined another mini disk 992 for 10 Cyl, starting at next free cylinder
after 991
3)  directxa
4)  logon   CMF  format 992
5)  logoff as user
6)  add 10 cylinders to user mdisk 991,  directxa
7)  logon as user,,   acc 991 B,   format 991 b 20 (recomp     Shows only 10
cyl:
format 991 b 20 (recomp
LABEL  VDEV M  STAT   CYL TYPE BLKSZ   FILES  BLKS USED-(%) BLKS LEFT  BLK TOTAL
XEC991 991  B   R/W    10 3390 4096       79       1794-99          6       1800

8)  Tried this a few different ways, same result. MDISK not expanded from 10 to
20 cyl

Thanks

Joseph Vitale
Technology Services Group