On some HMC models, the DVD drive is used to back up the HMC configuration
info to a DVD-RAM disk.  Newer models may use a USB "stick" for the
backup.  That is why the HMC panels refer to it as a DVD-RAM drive, since
it support read and write to the DVD.

You are correct about the "enable FTP access..." selection.  It only allows
access to the DVD from the IP address you give, and only for as long as you
allow (by keeping the selection open.)

--
Bruce Hayden
z/VM and Linux on System z ATS