Can you see it with "lsdasd -a" maybe? If so, then "chccwdev -e" might
bring it online?

If that works, it sounds like you're missing the udev rules that specify
which devices to use. An easy way out is to use yast to activate the device
and have that build the rules and generate the initrd for you again.