I agree with Rob here. From a performance point of view, it is likely
better to just not use a load balancer.

Just for the sake of completeness, the haproxy does have some different
aspects that make it interesting. We actually use it internally for
several purposes:

- it is used as the external entry for a number of websites. All of
  these have the same IP with different DNS records, and haproxy
  connects incoming requests to the correct server behind.
- it is used to do the external SSL connection to all these servers.
  Internally, the private connection to the server can be run with or
  without SSL. We often do not require SSL internally.
- It gives useful, or at least nice error pages when a service is down.
- For stateless servers, you can have multiple servers and when one is
  down, haproxy just uses others to take over (HA feature).

This is just the features we use, there is definitly more to it.

If you want to have a load balancer, I also would recommend to have a
closer look at latencies. I don't know if the Mainframe is the correct
machine to perform this type of task. This would be something that Rob
would be better to comment (well, he already told his opinion).

Berthold