On Wednesday, 03/18/2015 at 06:04 EDT, Rob van der Heij
<rvdh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to complicate it, but that check is not conclusive. When Linux
does
> not run ntpd, the time on Linux will match the time on z/VM (give or
take
> time zones). But when they still match the wall clock time a few weeks
> after the IPL of z/VM, you know STP is steering the clock.

Someone said to me that they thought zLinux will still use jiffies in
certain cases, which can cause "now" to have some significant variation.
Perhaps Those Who Know will speak up.

I've done more thinking, studying, and talking to Development about this,
and I now believe that TOD clock steering does NOT deal with leap seconds.
 This is because the TOD clock is steered to Coordinated Server Time
(CST), not UTC, and CST is computed by adding the leap seconds to UTC. UTC
can be determined by manual input or from NTP.  So if you set leap seconds
to zero, you have UTC but only until the next leap second.  But
Development is inquiring of PE to verify.

Architecturally, the z TOD clock is ahead of UTC by the number of leap
seconds contained in the UTC clock.

And please know, too, that it is the STP feature that steers the TOD clock
to the external time source.  Without it, you have to re-IPL z/VM to get
the LPAR TOD clock resync'd with the physical TOD clock, which is adjusted
to match the time obtained by the SE from the external time source at
model-dependent intervals.

Leap seconds become important when you start reaching back in the time. If
you reach past the most recent leap second insertion point, the wall clock
or TOD clock conversations start being off by one second per insertion.
For many things, that's close enough.  For others (e.g. financial
institutions) the time standards are established by regulatory agencies.

But you must be careful.  If you think about this too hard, you will
create a tear in the time-space continuum and fall in.  Just remember that
"The music is reversible, but time is not.   Kcab nrut, kcab nrut, ...."

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323