Yes. Hardware virtualization  support (aka SIE) is only two levels: LPAR
and z/VM. Linux running its processes is one too many so must be done in
software. That creates overhead. In your case is likely the polling of the
JVM that does it, which means is not really related to workload but just
burns cycles while idle. CMS does still fine that way but Linux not.
The virtual time is while CP has the guest dispatched under SIE. When the
user code in SIE is slow due to exceptions that CP must handle the clock is
still ticking. Just like when the guest suffers from heavy cache miss.
The IBM support assistant  (or what it's called now) did pretty nice
profile the IBM JVM. There are also lots of GC  analyzers if that's where
you're looking.
Rob