This could help next time?

pipe cp q signals | locate /Enabled/ | specs /FORCE/ 1 w1 nw | cons

You can issue this safely to see what I'm talking about

Change the 'cons' to 'CP' ....   and each guest who has signal enabled
(usually Linux and SFS) will get forced  (signalled).   Wait for them to
come down and then autolog AUTOLOG1/2 or whatever to restart things.

'CP SHUTDOWN' essentially does the above and then brings z/VM down..  so
this way you can bring down the guests and not z/VM itself..

Scott Rohling