From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike
Walter
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:49 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Are weekly z/VM IPLs necessary?

Enter the Wayback Machine for trip to 1996 by visiting:

http://listserv.uark.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9610&L=IBMVM&P=R1016&1=IBMVM&9=A&I=-3&J=on&X=D2B166CA66E8CA0104&Y=Mike.Walter%40aon.com&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4

(watch out for URL line breaks of that link).

That post was written before Linux ran on any IBM mainframes, and it addresses
some CMS application issues, but some parts (e.g. 'other systems', and
accumulated changes affecting the next IPL) still apply.  While you're there,
search for other posts on that thread... interesting and enlightening reading.

While z/VM can shutdown and restart at astonishingly speed (well under 10
minutes), large Linux servers can take much longer -- making the business case
for more frequent IPLs a more difficult decision.  But one must balance weekly
IPLs against the potential for the extended recovery time which may (place your
bets) be required to recover from those changes which have accumulated since
the last IPL, and may detrimentally affect the next IPL.   Provide your
management with as many facts as you can find, and your advice, then let them
make a decision -- that's why they get paid the big bucks, right?

Mike Walter
Aon Service Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not necessarily those of my
employer.