We have made a little progress with xrdp, here is where we are:

Our goal is to get xrdp working.  I have successfully installed it (I had
to do it from source because the version installed via apt-get complains
about having the wrong endian).  No problem, I fixed the required arch.h
file and installed.  But, it didn’t work although it ‘ran’.

So, I took a step back and decided to try and get vnc working with a basic
x desktop and server (I can live with vnc if all else fails).

This is where I am now.  I have installed xfce.  I like that one because it
is basic and minimal.  Anyway, when I run startx or startxfce4 the server
will not start and complains of having no display available.  I think I
need to install some drivers but I have no idea which ones to install.