Hej Mark,

On 10:27 Sun 16 Aug     , Mark Post wrote:
> > I was looking how to do the initrd & zipl, but got lost:
> > ls -l /etc/zipl.conf
> > ls: cannot access /etc/zipl.conf: No such file or directory
> >
> > zipl -V
> > Using config file '/etc/zipl.conf'
> > Error: Config file '/etc/zipl.conf': No such file or directory
> >
> > ls -l /etc/dasd.conf
> > ls: cannot access /etc/dasd.conf: No such file or directory
>
> Starting with SLES12, we're using grub2 as the boot loader.  As on other
> architectures this means that the boot loader is able to look at what's under
> /boot and build a list of kernels to boot from.  We still use zipl "behind
> the scenes" to enable the kernel that runs grub2 to get started, but there
> should be little to no need for customers to run it any more.  So, we no
> longer have a /etc/zipl.conf file.  We've never had a /etc/dasd.conf file.

The problem I have encountered with this is, while I don't need the old
zipl configuration and new kernels can be added to grub2 (which works
very well), in case the root-fs changes in any way (like in this case
with adding a second device to the root btrfs-fs, or lets say an other
LUN in an zfcp setup) this also means the initrd that zipl loads has to
be changed - because otherwise it won't be able to initialize the
grub2-emulation properly because that is also resident on said root fs.

> If you use the provided tools to add and remove DASD, then things should
> "just work [tm]" for you.  Those tools being YaST, and dasd_configure.  If
> used, they create the necessary udev rules and update
> /boot/zipl/active_devices.txt to exclude devices from the cio_ignore list.
> (For virtualized environments, we don't recommend blacklisting devices in the
> first place, but blacklisting somehow became the default for SLES12. :(  )

Its worth nothing if those changes (udev and un-ignoring) are not pulled
into the environment available for the grub2-emulation, and because they
reside on the root-fs that we change they are not unless they are
pulled into said initrd. It wouldn't do this for me when I experimented
last Friday with the LVM setup (I checked the time-stamps under
/boot/zipl/), I had to invoke those updates myself (`update-bootloader
--reinit` did the trick for me).

> The documentation for SLES12 is at
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/ .

If I am assuming wrong things here then pls correct me, this is just
what I found while experimenting with it. I haven't found anything
regarding addition of btrfs-devices using built-in tools in the
documentation.

                                                    Beste Grüße / Best regards,
                                                      - Benjamin Block
--
Linux on z Systems Development         /         IBM Systems & Technology Group
                Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz