> On Aug 20, 2015, at 9:23 AM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> The constant in this discussion is that FCP subchannels (device numbers)
> with the same EQID are defined to have the same access rights, without
> regard to the chpid.  This means they are in the same SAN zone and are
> masked to the same LUNs.  If you are using NPIV, then that is done per
> subchannel (zoned with the virtual WWPNs).  If you're not using NPIV, then
> all subchannels on the chpid have the same access rights (zoned with the
> physical WWPN or at the port level).
>
> Keep an eye out for enhancements that will make pre-zoning much easier,
> without the need for a prediction tool.

Will do!

> No, it's the correct thing.  If every NPIV-enabled subchannel is zoned
> separately, then every subchannel will have a unique EQID.
>
> For simplicity:
> Member A
>  CHPID 60   6000-61A3 (that's the 420 device limit using 2 CUs)
>  CHPID 70   7000-71A3
>
> Member B
>  CHPID 60   6000-61A3
>  CHPID 70   7000-71A3
>
> Virtual machine LINUX1
>   DEDICATE 6000 6101  (x101 has been assigned to this guest)
>   DEDICATE 7000 7101
>   Multipath config includes all target WWPNs and LUNs.
>
> Virtual machine LINUX2
>   DEDICATE 6000 6102  (x102 has been assigned to this guest)
>   DEDICATE 7000 7102
>   Multipath config includes all target WWPNs and LUNs.
>
> Each unique tuple (610x,710x) has been zoned and masked identically and
> SYSTEM CONFIG has assigned each tuple the same EQID on all members.   As
> you relocate back and forth, virtual 6000 and 7000 will be on different
> chpids.  But the beauty of it is that you don't care which chpid.  The
> only difference it makes is that the local WWPN will be different.  But
> since the two WWPNs have the same access rights, no one cares.
>
> In a simple configuration, you could get away with using the user ID as
> the EQID.
>
> Please note that the above illustrate why we suggest that you use the same
> device numbers in your I/O configurations.  If you don't, then the COMMAND
> ATTACH EQID will be needed.

That’s exactly what I did. Same addresses on all LPARS and on every LPAR, 60XX
always goes to fabric A and 61XX always go to fabric B   (switch A and switch
B)
So it’s quite easy to figure it out.

Thank you one more time. I definitely have learned something here!
I think I know what to do now.
Gregory