From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Marcy
Cortes
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 2:28 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: How to force crash dump from hung Red Hat guest

I think it was worse than 30 minutes for 16G the last time I tried!
And it is non-interruptible.
If you are on a problem call, you may have people screaming at you to get their
server back sooner and you have no control at that point.

Best imho to make yourself a volume with zipl -d .    You can attach that to
whatever guest as needed and simply do from the console:
#cp stop cpu all
#cp store status
#cp ipl xxxx

It's very fast and always works.
It’s a good practice to always have one ready.