On Thu, 2015-10-29 at 11:06 -0400, Michael Weiner wrote:
> I am working on a DNS on SLES 11 SP3 using BIND.
>
> I got the DNS working where I can ping my entries etc. But I am
> getting the
> following errors which looks like IPv6.

Right.
What you cited are attempted queries using IPv6.
The visible difference between IPv4 and IPv6 is the
eight quad hex fields versus four dotted decimal fields.
People sometimes let IPv6 scare them. It shouldn't.

The address looks like IPv6 for "M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET".
Quite legit, but >>> do you have IPv6 routing working? <<<
It's often automagic, but I rarely trust that.
(IPv6 challenges control freaks like me.
You *can* set explicit routing, but "they" don't like it.)

It's very possible that your IP stack thinks it can do IPv6
and BIND is picking up on that and trying, but that your
local network isn't really playing IPv6 yet. So the packets
would just drop into the ether. Bummer.

I run BIND (even build it from source regularly)
but I must confess I don't grok all of its log messages.

If you're getting name resolution, you can ignore the errors.
But I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you find out if IPv6 is routing.
You will want to use it sooner or later, and an "can ignore it
for the time being" error is not elegant nor wise.

-- R; <><