Linux is Linux... and the jump from UNIX to Linux is pretty easy (even I
was able to make the change back in `99).
- Might be good to just start with some basic Linux classes as that
knowledge is easily transferable.

Over really recommending one over the other I figured it might also be
helpful to just list some options, noting that I am sure a custom session
could be created if desire with financing really exist.

All that said, Redhat does offer courses:
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training

The VM web site list eduction offers:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/education/

Marist with the IDCP has official course offering listed here, with one
geared towards z/VM with Linux:
http://idcp.marist.edu/enterprisesystemseducation/enterprisesystemscoursecalendar.html

The VMworkshop in June is still rated as the best bang for the buck.  I
just attended my first one this year and was very impressed.  Worth noting
is that 2016 is slated to occur at Ruters Univerity in NJ:
http://www.vmworkshop.org/

And then there are of course labs at events like SHARE or InterConnect:
http://www.share.org/
http://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/us/en/interconnect/

Hopefully all this info is helpful,

Kurt Acker
IBM Smarter Planet, Smarter Data Centers
Virtualization and Enterprise System Management Technologies