On Saturday, 02/27/2016 at 08:59 GMT, Kirk Bradley <kbrad...@mac.com>
wrote:
> Right.. a CMS dump helper is what I had in mind.. maybe you SMSG it to
take a
> dump of another guest.. something like that.
>
> My real problem is that VMDUMP is so horrible that IBM needs to fix it -
make
> another command / subsystem / "I don?t care what? that can fully utilize
the
> I/O power of a mainframe .. and it works against all guests just like
VMDUMP.
> Why does each OS need to have it?s own way of doing that. Otherwise why
would
> VMDUMP have been written in the first place?

Yes, you might be able to write a CMS dump helper.  The question is why
would you?  The Linux folks have to have a dump program that works with or
without VM.  Same for the other OSes.   And the SA dump programs are built
with knowledge of how the OS organizes memory.  As it happens, VM and
Linux now use the same dump program.

VMDUMP was written in a kinder, gentler era.  Virtual machines were small.
 VMDUMP got its job done in an acceptable amount of time, and it's still
fine for CMS and GCS dumps.  Otherwise, use the OS-specific SA dump
program.

Since there's already an acceptable method of getting SA dumps from Linux
in a reasonable amount of time, there's no business reason to spend
resources upgrading VMDUMP.  There are other, higher priority items in
queue.

So build and practice using the new z/VM 6.3 SA dump program before you
need it.  Do it with Linux, too.  If you're fiddling around trying to
understand it when the OS is dead, you're going to simply reboot in the
interest of time and miss the opportunity to get the dump.  All in the
hope that it won't happen again.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323