Mike,

Apache runs as the User and Group defined in /etc/apache2/uid.conf, the
group 'www' by default

Maybe try this:
-) Perhaps rename /srv/www/htdocs/test to something like
/srv/www/htdocs/cmsfs
-) Make 'www' the group owner of that directory: chgrp www cmsfs
-) Mount the CMS file system over cmsfs/ with csmfs-fuse
-) service apache2 restart (may not be needed but won't hurt)

Then try again http://your.server/cmsfs/MICHAELW.PDF

    -Mike