>>> On 4/11/2016 at 07:00 PM, Martha McConaghy <u...@vm.marist.edu> wrote:
> I've been fighting with a Debian install all day and wonder if anyone else
> has run into the same problem. I wanted to use LVM for the root filesystem,
> so created a /boot partition and an LVM for the rest.  Everything works fine
> until it comes to the step where it tries to write out ZIPL.  That step
> fails.

By "that step" do you mean something the installer is doing that you can't tell
exactly what is happening?  Or is it a command you're running yourself?

> I tried all sorts of combinations, but the only that actually works is
> creating 1 partition for / with no LVM at all.  Something is not right.

While I don't personally care for this kind of setup, it should be fairly
straightforward.  /boot needs to be mounted at the time zipl is run.  It needs
to have a file system of ext*, xfs, reiserfs, etc. on it, not something like
btrfs.

What do the contents of /etc/zipl.conf look like?  What are the messages you're
getting back that indicate failure?