On 4 May 2016 at 11:27, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:
> wrote:
>> Please note that the zdev tools (chzdev, lszdev) included in s390-tools
>> 1.33 are the result of a full rework. I'm confident that all major
>> issues of earlier versions have been resolved by this new version.
>
> When I glanced at the source code yesterday, and saw your name as the author
> on all of them, I pretty much came to the same conclusion.
>
> Sigh.  Too late to start using it with SLES12 SP2.  If I'd known this was
> included earlier we might have been able to integrate it.  As it stands,
> they'll be in the package, because there's no reason to exclude them.  We
> just won't be exploiting them ourselves just yet.

In Ubuntu, we have switch to lszdev / chzdev tooling late in the 16.04
LTS development cycle both for the installer and the installed system
management of devices.

I like that it can [de-]serialize and persistent and manages
cio_ignore too. And one can enable devices ahead of time too (e.g.
when said device does not exist on the system yet).

It's really good, and scales well, during development cycle we saw
races and bugs with older hwup/down tooling, which chzdev complete
replaces, by generating efficient rock solid modern udev rules.

I see that lszdev/chzdev is really cross-platform tooling for device
management for all Linux on z systems.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.