I am assuming you want to do this from Linux and not from CMS. If I remember it
right, the DASD driver does not show you the entire device, only the data
portion of CKD and also not record 0. This means that if dasd has been once
formatted, Linux will try to access it as formatted drive.

There is a way to access raw tracks from Linux, look in Device Drivers,
Features and Commands and search for "Accessing full ECKD tracks".
Unfortunately, the last time I tried this (a couple of years ago) not all
kernels supported this and also even on newer kernels, some non-IBM devices did
not support raw track mode from Linux.

Why do you need to unformat drives? I once had a similar need because under
certain conditions the Linux dasd driver would go into a loop trying to access
badly formatted drives (this happened only on certain devices, but I forgot the
details). I ended up writing a user exit for the directory manager that would
wipe out the first few tracks on a newly created minidisk.

HTH,
Tomas

Tomas Pavelka
CA Technologies
Sr Software Engineer

CA CZ, s.r.o
V Parku 12,
148 00 Praha
Czech Republic

Office: +25996 | tomas.pave...@ca.com

Id. Císlo 25694073, z obchodního rejstříku, vedeného Městským soudem v Praze,
oddíl C, vložka 61808 / Id. No. 25694073, registered in the Commercial Register
maintained by the Municipal Court in Praque, Section C, File 61808