On 09/15/2016 03:49 AM, Stefan Raspl wrote:
> QEMU v2.7 is out! See
> kvmonz.blogspot.com/2016/09/qemu-v27-released.html for a list of
> highlights for KVM on z.

Speaking of which ... does anyone know the ins-and-outs of using QEMU
for z "guests" without KVM?

I've used QEMU to present other architectures. (Was running SPARC just
last week.) But QEMU is very PC-oriented, so it's tough to wade through
the doco for mainframe hints. Will QEMU even do 3390 or 3370? or OSA or
LCS? The para-virt disk and NIC are nice for a lot of use cases, but
they present a short-fall in the grand picture of full capability we all
hope to see.

Hercules works fine. Nothing wrong with it, except that libvirt won't
talk to it. Ah! Now there's a novel idea: hypervisors and emulators
which can be managed through a common utility or protocol. So QEMU is
interesting if perhaps I can launch 'virt-mangler' and bring my
Linux/390 into the same console as the other kiddos.

-- R; <><