Hi,

We cannot SSH as root in our organization which is good for preserving
audit trail because all users must use their own credentials.

I (but not all users) can then 'su to root', and my login user is preserved
in the environment variable SUDO_USER.

However, then as root I can 'su to another user' and the audit trail seems
to be lost.  Has anyone solved this issue?

# env | grep mike
USER=mike
# sudo -i
mike's password:
# env | grep mike
SUDO_USER=mike  <audit trail is preserved>
# su - zadmin
env | grep mike
<no output - audit trail is lost>

Please don't say just don't allow root to su to another user - it is
necessary.  What I want is to preserve the SUDO_USER value with the initial
login ID no matter how many times su is used.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

    -Mike MacIsaac