wrote:
> But I do wonder, there are a lot of shops that use a separate partition for
> /usr so I would expect to have seen more about this. In our linux group they

Believe me, this got talked about a lot, just not necessarily in this mailing
list.  There are a lot of arguments on both sides of the discussion, but as
always, the people writing the code have the most say in what happens for the
people that use their code.  Unfortunately for this situation, most of the
major distributions have started using it.

-snip-
> The page at freedesktop refers mostly to Fedora. It also links to another
> page
> (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/)
> that talks about moving /bin and /sbin into the /usr/* counterparts, once
> again referring to Fedora.

That's because the primary developer(s) for systemd works for Red Hat and
similar to openSUSE and SLES, things to into Fedora before hitting RHEL.

> Also these pages mention that having /usr on a separate partition is still
> supported. But is it?

It is supported.  If it isn't working, that's a bug, assuming the customer
isn't doing something else that is invalid.

> The point I have seen is that initramfs should mount
> /usr during early boot but it looks like it's not working correctly as an
> attempt is made to umount it by systemd.

Again, I'm not seeing that on any of my test systems, so there is something
about your (and Marcy's) particular setups that is triggering a bug.

> @Mark Post, What is the position of Suse in this matter? Is Suse also
> working towards moving the /bin and /sbin to /usr/*?

When SLES12 came out, that was largely already done.  I don't know if there's
been any further movement in that direction or not.