Greetings Mark, thank you for the confirmation.
I suspected that this was dependant on the architecture.

From:   Mark Post <mp...@suse.com>
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:   01/27/2017 06:23 PM
Subject:        Re: mkfs.btrfs not working on an unformatted device
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

https://www.howtoforge.com/a-beginners-guide-to-btrfs#a-beginners-guide-to-btrfs-

> This may be true for other platforms but I was asking if it held true for
> S390.
> A Beginner's Guide To btrfs
> 3 Creating btrfs File Systems (RAID0, RAID1)
> One great feature of btrfs is that you can create btrfs file systems on
> unformatted hard drives, i.e., you don't have to use tools like fdisk to
> partition a hard drive.

What holds true for other architectures, does not hold true specifically
for DASD on z Systems.  Never, ever, use the base device of a DASD volume.
You will get unexpected results and probably data loss.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or