On 06/27/2017 12:34 AM, Marcy Cortes wrote:
Thanks!  That is easy to remember!

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 3:15 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Single user (rescue target) in SLES 12

On 6/26/2017 at 03:26 PM, Marcy Cortes <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
One thing I haven't figured out in SLES 12 systemd system is how to
boot into single user mode (rescue.target)?
On sles 11, I just did a #cp vi vmsg 1 1

Anyone know?

You should be able to do this:
IPL devno PARM S

Doesn't this take you to single user mode of the "auxiliary" kernel&initrd, i.e. the one of grub2-s390x-emu, rather than your "target" / production kernel&initrd which can be quite different?

[Similarly with SCPDATA instead of PARM if you would IPL from FCP/SCSI instead of from DASD.]

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/linuxonibm/com.ibm.linux.z.lhdd/lhdd_c_ipl_vs_boot.html

CAVEAT:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/linuxonibm/com.ibm.linux.z.lhdd/lhdd_c_parms_spec.html#parms_caution__section_bad_kparms

I only know of grub2-s390x-emu support to select a particular grub.conf menu entry.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/linuxonibm/com.ibm.linux.z.lhdd/lhdd_t_grub2_parms.html

For any other dynamic changing of kernel parameters for the target kernel, I only know of the interactive grub2 prompt.

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_sle_admin/data/sec_grub2_zseries.html

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_sle_admin/data/sec_grub2_file_structure.html#sec_grub2_menu_change

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on z Systems Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen