From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Victor
Echavarry
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:58 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: BESCLIENT

Thanks everyone for your help.

Regards,

Victor Echavarry
System Programmer
Operating Systems

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Marcy
Cortes
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:33 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

Thank you kevan for the info!

So might I suggest a post rpm script in the s390x rpm that says warns the
customer that default settings should be examined for a z/VM environment.   If
we had that info as we piloted the rpm install on the few "lab" servers we
have, we might have been able to stop some pain which included backouts and
dragging in IBM VM high level peoples :)  (thanks again Romney for ferreting
out the solution) and weeks of delay in deployment.

In large shops, something like BigFix gets deployed by a team, usually
distributed oriented that has to support both Windows and *ix and they pass off
the "install" test to the various platform people to ensure the install works.
 Those teams say "yea, it installed" and really are not expecting to be looking
for things like excessive CPU use in aggregate.   And it then gets pushed to
tens of thousands of devices...   If the rpm had said something,  we, being my
team as platform signoffers,  would have asked that they investigate further.

Obviously we aren't the only ones to feel the pain as I think 6 or 7 others
have chimed in here and on the previous thread from last year, so if you need a
formal requirement, I'll bet happy to submit one.  I think there's several here
that will vote on it.

Marcy