Going back ... I didn't follow this:

On 05/17/2018 08:03 AM, Paul Flint wrote, citing me:
>> *IUCV* is best, if you have an IUCV terminal server running. You can SSH
>> into the terminal server, hop to the ailing Linux guests via IUCV, and
>> "everything is normal". (Well ... except that you're in single-user
>> maint mode.) We really should make more use of IUCV in all ways,
>> terminal server, things layered on that, and non-terminal traffic. It's
>> awesome!
>
> While I have in my time incanted with IUCV I must petition the Troth
> that this potent VM Magic (VMM) may not be the best for an initiate.
> A wizard of your standing can hold power over the wild IUCV, transfer
> files, edit minidisk content, run DDT (whose name will be spoken
> here), or invoke new CMS, but I plea, this is a dangerous path!

On both Linux (all platforms) and CMS, IUCV is available as an address
family (not functional apart from z/VM) in the sockets interface.
AF_IUCV is right there alongside AF_INET, AF_INET6, AF_UNIX (AF_LOCAL),
and the rest. What I don't follow is why you say "this is a dangerous
path". (Or maybe I misunderstood.)

Dangerous?
It's actually *less* dangerous than the networked address families
because it's guaranteed to be local, as is AF_UNIX (AF_LOCAL). Have no
fear! It's easy to use and as safe assocket() can be.

The "IUCV console" support in the kernel is based on the same thing. At
one time I wrote some code to connect to a Linux console from CMS and
vice versa. Fun!

-- R; <><