I have RHEL 7 system on a mod-9 (10016 cup) ECKD DASD and want to move it
to a mod-27 (32759 cyl).

The disk is not in use, I used zVM/CMS to DDR the disk to the larger one.
Then I attached it to a zLinux system to format the back end of the disk.
After that I would remove the last partition and create a new partition
extending to the end of disk and finally  resize the file system in that
partition.

The dasdfmt -b 4096 --mode=expand worked great.   Started formatting the
disk at track 150240 as expected.  But then fdasd choked saying only the
first 10016 cylinders are formatted so I can’t create the new larger
partition.

How can I coerce fdasd into doing the right thing? Whatever fdasd is
looking at for that cylinder count I expected dasdfmt to update.

Where is that data, maybe I can just zap it with some other tool like cms
pipe read/write track.

I also tried dasdfmt --mode=quick which fixed my fdasd issue.  It now got
the right size of the disk but that removes the IPL record and who knows
what else so the disk was no longer bootable.

Any suggestions beyond install from scratch on the larger disk? :-)

Thanks,
Don

Thu 28 Jun 20:58:17 UTC
[root@sl55zdump] ~
#dasdfmt -b 4096 --mode=expand /dev/dasdr
Expansion mode active. Searching for starting position...
Done. Unformatted part starts at track 150240.
Drive Geometry: 32759 Cylinders * 15 Heads =  491385 Tracks

I am going to format the device /dev/dasdr in the following way:
   Device number of device : 0x200
   Labelling device        : yes
   Disk label              : VOL1
   Disk identifier         : 0X0200
   Extent start (trk no)   : 150240
   Extent end (trk no)     : 491384
   Compatible Disk Layout  : yes
   Blocksize               : 4096
   Mode                    : Expand

Type "yes" to continue, no will leave the disk untouched: yes
Formatting the device. This may take a while (get yourself a coffee).

Finished formatting the device.
Rereading the partition table... ok

Thu 28 Jun 21:05:40 UTC
[root@sl55zdump] ~
#fdasd /dev/dasdr
reading volume label ..: VOL1
reading vtoc ..........: ok
WARNING: This device is not fully formatted! Only 10016 of 32759 cylinders
are available.