On Tue, 24 Jul 2018, R P Herrold wrote:

> form, as it locks in potentially vulnerable library decisions
> (I see some compression / decompression libraries which have
> had CVE type vulnerabilities in them, so this matters -- a
> stale 'carried in the tarball' lzo [YIKES], a stale 'carried
> in the tarball' l4 [YIKES], zlib, more with unpackaged perl

heh -- one of the holes is well enough known, and the code
stale and unfixed, that the GCC suite and glibc, know to warn
during a build:

+ make V=1 PKGBUILD=1 client
compression.c: In function 'compress_message_to_strbuffer':
compression.c:352:3: warning: 'LZ4_compressHC' is deprecated
(declared at /usr/include/lz4hc.h:203): use LZ4_compress_HC()
instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
   newsize = LZ4_compressHC(datasrc, STRBUFEND(deststrbuffer),
datasz);
   ^
compression.c:364:3: warning: 'LZ4_compress' is deprecated
(declared at /usr/include/lz4.h:431): use
LZ4_compress_default() instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
   newsize = LZ4_compress(datasrc, STRBUFEND(deststrbuffer),
datasz);
   ^

-- Russ herrold